Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Andy Murray

K-9

Not when you're mother is who Murray's is and certainly not when you get sent to tennis school in Barcelona to play and train.

Just simply being "Scottish" doesn't mean you have to overcome unbelievable odds. He's been as well served as many other professional tennis players have been in their youth, no like he was fae Maryhill or Dundee. 

In what way has he "overcome massive odds"?

Thomas Hamilton?

In all seriousness, I think he's doing great, plus he's not Tim Henman, and plus the English hate him.  Just hope he can somehow get that grand slam but he really needs to do it in the next couple of years.

Thomas Hamilton?

In all seriousness, I think he's doing great, plus he's not Tim Henman, and plus the English hate him.  Just hope he can somehow get that grand slam but he really needs to do it in the next couple of years.

I think so too but his brittle temperament holds him back. It's something he has to address as it hasn't gone away.

Not when you're mother is who Murray's is and certainly not when you get sent to tennis school in Barcelona to play and train.

Just simply being "Scottish" doesn't mean you have to overcome unbelievable odds. He's been as well served as many other professional tennis players have been in their youth, no like he was fae Maryhill or Dundee.

I don't know if you're missing my point intentionally or just thick? Going by that grammar it may be the latter.  :thumbsup:

I'm not saying he's not been given opportunities. Personally I think I'd find moving abroad very difficult for various reasons. Culture shock (maybe not so much in Spain) and language barrier being just a couple.  Moving away on your own (none of his family moved with him) at such a young age to me shows great strength of character already. I would concede that there's certainly room for improvement and that he needs to do just that before he can go up the level required for grand slam success.

His second serve is horrendous but that's an entirely mental issue. I think you're right though. When he serves well he wins.

I'm not sure how fair a comparasin to Rafa Nadal is. Nadal is from a Tennis rich enviroment where it's much easier to get into it and get good coaching whithout having to travel far and wide to get it. He's also an exceptional talent and far more naturally athletic.

Just because Scottish and being a good Tennis players is a huge achievement.

Probably grammars and thick being too's maybe.

I don't think he's had any harder a time than most other player's and certainly none of whom who have won a slam.

As I've said, I reckon he's a tremendous player just mentally brittle. BB makes a good point about his service too, unreliable but virtually unplayable at times.     

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...