Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Andy Murray

K-9

:lolabove:

Good old predicta text! Some cracking rallies, fingers crossed djokovic manages to break federer.

Great comeback by Djokovic, federer will be devastated after losing twice in the same manner to him. Especially on match point :D

Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player in the history of the universe (of his generation...from Switzerland).

7th player in history to reach all grand slam semis in a year. federer is the only person to do it more than once, which seems incredible.

It certainly does

I thought I heard the commentator say that if Murray made it to the final then Federer would drop to World Number 4 which on the evidence of the tennis played last night would have been a travesty.  I reckon the world rankings are spot on.

I have now accepted that Murray will never win a grand slam - I knew he was beaten as early as the 2nd game when he was hitting his racquet off his shoes  :(

Anyway fair play to him for his semis, just a pity he can't rise to the occasion when required  ;)

The big difference between him and the top three... they rarely do this, he does this often.  It saps his energy.

Article in the Sunday Times on 3rd July by Barry Flatman with the title "Winning Grand Slam is all in the mind for despondent Scot".

Quote by Boris Becker splashed across the top - "Murray is more fragile between the ears than the big three".

Much as it is sad to see a Scot try so hard and come up short EVERY time, what's really tragic is that he, his entourage and his "fans" fail to see, let alone understand what the problem actually is. The dog died.

Aye I turned it off after he was broken for the first time in the second.  :

Australian will be his time! [/otimism that's got absolutely no foundation unless the top 3 drop dead]

I'm heading back over east again next January to give him my support.... more in hope, rather than expectancy!

Everyone has their own thoughts on Andy Murray.  As much as I'm a fan, I don't buy into these 'mentally weak' theories.  I watch a lot of tennis and the bottom line is that Murray just isn't good enough.  He's nowhere near the level of the top three. 

It's tough to accept but unfortunately not everyone can be good enough... there are far too many holes within his game.

I'm heading back over east again next January to give him my support.... more in hope, rather than expectancy!

Everyone has their own thoughts on Andy Murray.  As much as I'm a fan, I don't buy into these 'mentally weak' theories.  I watch a lot of tennis and the bottom line is that Murray just isn't good enough.  He's nowhere near the level of the top three. 

It's tough to accept but unfortunately not everyone can be good enough... there are far too many holes within his game.

Why would your opinion prevail over Boris Becker's, when there is an obvious straightforward conflict here?

Surely you concede his greater qualification in this field?

Why would your opinion prevail over Boris Becker's, when there is an obvious straightforward conflict here?

Surely you concede his greater qualification in this field?

Boris Becker is a sports psychologist?

Anyhow, I am convinced he's a too mentally brittle to keep it together. All the talent in the world but without the top of the line focus and mentality Djokovic/Nadal/Federer have.

I don't know what the basis for any of that is.

And yet "the basis" for this is what?

Anyhow, I am convinced he's a too mentally brittle to keep it together. All the talent in the world but without the top of the line focus and mentality Djokovic/Nadal/Federer have.

I suspect that I actually agree with you both in the main but on the mummy point, it's fucking obvious that she's got mental health issues and that he would have been better served striking out on his own a long time ago.

The coaching inconsistency may well be because of mumsy. Her obsession is counter-productive.

I don't know what the basis for any of that is.

the fact that he dismissed the coaches that questioned him or suggested doing things differently. Gilbert in particular. Fair enough not to take to an individual but he's settled for having pals around to laugh at his jokes and pamper his ego, rather than proper coaches. It just seems to me like he's taking more on his own shoulders than needs be.

and judy murray is an extremely arrogant person herself. she's achieved a lot, but apparently has issues with anyone who doesn't treat her darling son like royalty.

the fact that he dismissed the coaches that questioned him or suggested doing things differently. Gilbert in particular. Fair enough not to take to an individual but he's settled for having pals around to laugh at his jokes and pamper his ego, rather than proper coaches. It just seems to me like he's taking more on his own shoulders than needs be.

and judy murray is an extremely arrogant person herself. she's achieved a lot, but apparently has issues with anyone who doesn't treat her darling son like royalty.

Fit's that based on like?

Some people on here would be best advised to read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Unfortunately when words such as "supposition" get used in an attempt to discredit the "basis" of an opinion or impression, then the philosophy contained within the said book would undoubtedly be unattainable. Damn fine read though, highly unusual in that it articulates and explores subject matters rarely acknowledged to exist despite massively overwhelming evidence that they do. Instinct and wisdom, gentlemen. Get yourselves out of the sticks, you literal liberals.