Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Andy Murray

K-9

Listened on the radio, fair play to him.  Pushed a better player all the way and didn't give up.  No one can call him a bottler this time if you ask me.

Surely not - he's done what he is supposed to do as the 4th best player - I'm quite gutted for him - saw the bloody 4th set in the pub on my lunch hour when he got pumped  :hammer:

So Nadal to win the final for me on Sunday then. I'm serving breakfast from 8am  :thumbsup:

Problem is he is by far the 4th best player in the world, but by some distance only the 4th best player in the world.

Agreed

So Nadal to win the final for me on Sunday then. I'm serving breakfast from 8am  :thumbsup:

Three rashers please :thumbsup:

Djokovic was at his mind games. I think he was feigning his injury somewhat. But I was pleased with how Murray did (barring throwing away the 4th set in a matter of minutes). He showed mental strength that I didn't think he had. When he came back in the 5th I thought he would do it too.

I disagree with GS. Yesterday's match convinced me that there isn't that huge a gulf in class between Murray as 4th and Djokovic as 1st.

Murray did himself proud I thought. Bear in mind that Novak has lost 2 out of his last 80 odd matches or something mental like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like some interesting reactions on Twitter during Murray's match today:

First set reaction

Murphy Ohenlen ?(@Chucks_Taylor) starts the pessimism surrounding Murray’s chances: “I’m starting to believe that Andy Murray will never be ranked as number one in the world. Dude has been trying for too long now.”

A cynical Isabelle Scarlett (?@IsabelleCain) questions the validity of Murray’s injury: “Trust Andy Murray to say he’s ‘injured’ just because he’s losing.#soreloser”

While Joshua Morris ?@JoshuaMorris is delighted to wake up to see Murray losing: “Wake up to find Andy Murray is getting beat. Fantastic start to the day!”

But Jamie Mc Cowan ?(@jamiemccowan) has Murray’s long-term interests in mind: “Andy Murray needs to get out of this tournament if he is ‘injured’ – in my opinion he should be fit for Wimbledon!!”

And Anna Fitzpatrick ?(@TennisFITZY) compares Murray’s woes to Novak Djokovic’s chequered past when it comes to injuries: “Why is it that when Murray is like this he’s a hero but when Novak does it, he’s a villain?! To clarify, I’m not saying Andy is faking, I just think it’s interesting that the automatic assumption is that Novak is faking, Murray’s not!”

Second set reaction

After a lacklustre start to the second set Sam Walsh (?@Sam_Walsh13) is disillusioned with Murray: “Andy Murray is a joke. Will never win a grand slam #fact”

But as the comeback start, Murray begins to win over viewers, David J Awofisan ?(@MaccyD_90): “Watching the French Open, Andy Murray playing like a possessed man even with a back injury. #SignUpHisPhysio #RolandGarros”

Mel Jones (?@meliecupcake) asks a question that is relevant throughout Murray’s career: “Why is it Andy Murray insists on losing his first set before going on to win every time? #britishtrait”

While Holly Ackroyd ?(@hollyackers) notices a change in Murray’s performance: “Fair play to @andy_murray! After a shocking 1st set he’s definitely picked up his game #rolandgarros #frenchopen”

And Craig White (?@cwhite1991) heaps praise on the British number one: “Andy Murray’s bravery is incredible. Almost unable to walk throughout the first hour and a half of his match, he’s now 5-4 up in the second.”

Third set reaction

Duncan Jenkins (?@duncanjenkinsFC) is impressed: “What a comeback by andy murray, he’s got a heart as big as gold. I think he is #mint. #murray #mint #frenchopen”

Shaun Brown (@shaun_brown) wants Murray’s advice on back injuries: “Wish I knew what Andy Murray has done to cure his back problem. Anything to help mine! Or has he just hustled Nieminen?#frenchopen”

Daniel Spirrett (?@danspirrett) looks at the mental side of the game: “Andy Murray proving the phrase ‘mind over matter’ @rolandgarros#RG12”

While Ianjdc ?(@ianjdc) attempts to keep the cynics quiet: “Anyone who reckons @andy_murray was merely pretending to have a back injury is, to be frank, a complete idiot! #frenchopen”

Fourth set reaction

Ed White (?@EdWhite2507) has seen this before from Murray: “Andy Murray having a very similar match versus Jarkko Nieminen to his third round last year against Berrer. Injured, but grinding it out #tennis”

James Bailey (?@jamiebailey32) is delighted to cash in on Murray’s win: “I smelled a rat during the first set in the Andy Murray match so I put a £20 bet on Murray at 11/1 – I’m loving it.”

Miss Em ?(@Elementary_Em) defends the Scottish star: “@andy_murray’s complete determination and remarkably impressive play despite his injury proves the snide remarks from the media invalid.”

Robert Galloway ?(@robert_gallo91) poses a good question: “Is Andy Murray the most underappreciated British sportsman? Unbelievable resilience when many would have given up.”

Anirudh (?@Anirudh6196) reckons Murray can emulate Chelsea: “Andy Murray destined this win this year’s @rolandgarros maybe? Just like Chelsea were in the Champions League.”

;D

Fuck the English twats that are desperate for him to fail because they're so bitter about the fact he's not English. Cunts.

Fine performance today against the columbian dude Santiago Giraldo. Just got the job done efficiently and Giraldo was no mug. Played some very good tennis at times