Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Next manager

RicoS321

8 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Can’t we just hire donstalk as next manager? We’ll clearly do a great job and have all the answers. Rico as spokesman though, we’ll need a fall guy.

Would I get to keep my seat in the RDL for when it goes tits up? If so, I'm in. 

In all seriousness, you could imagine Cormack giving a fan the job after an altercation on Twitter, where he challenges some minker to see if they could do a better job.

If it’s Warnock I will be staying away until he is gone. Dinosaur whose teams usually play route one football and had a couple of top flight stints in England where his team were relegated. Surely to fuck we have better options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jute said:

Where did they find these lunatics.

I saw thon first lad at the fitba last night. Actually held the door open for him as I was leaving the chunty and he was going in. Would have belted it off his coupon if he'd suggested Lennon to me. 

I'd rather have yogi. At least it'd be funny. 

• Haha 3

I don’t have much to contribute regards who should come in. But I thought an interesting stat (that I’m pretty certain is correct) is that Robson won the same amount of league games as interim manager as he did when he got the job permanently. That number is seven games. Have to admit although I didn’t expect the good form to  continue indefinitely, I didn’t see the drop off in results that occurred happening. It’s almost hard to be critical of the board when you look at it that way. 

23 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

I don’t have much to contribute regards who should come in. But I thought an interesting stat (that I’m pretty certain is correct) is that Robson won the same amount of league games as interim manager as he did when he got the job permanently. That number is seven games. Have to admit although I didn’t expect the good form to  continue indefinitely, I didn’t see the drop off in results that occurred happening. It’s almost hard to be critical of the board when you look at it that way. 

The board got in an inexperienced manager for our heaviest scheduled season this century and didn't get anyone with experience above him, all after the two previous inexperienced guys failed in similar circumstances. It's entirely their fault. If Robson had succeeded, it would have been pure luck. 

Obviously, you can always pick up a bad manager, or one who just doesn't fit for whatever reason, but you have to mitigate that in any way possible. Suffice to say, it's clear that there's nobody at the club capable of holding a manager to account and so any good appointment we might make will be down to luck. 

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

The board got in an inexperienced manager for our heaviest scheduled season this century and didn't get anyone with experience above him, all after the two previous inexperienced guys failed in similar circumstances. It's entirely their fault. If Robson had succeeded, it would have been pure luck. 

Obviously, you can always pick up a bad manager, or one who just doesn't fit for whatever reason, but you have to mitigate that in any way possible. Suffice to say, it's clear that there's nobody at the club capable of holding a manager to account and so any good appointment we might make will be down to luck. 

I think you’re right that someone more experienced should have been operating above him. But I also wonder if that would have made all that much difference as it seems to be tactically that he was struggling and if you take that aspect away from the coach he’s not really the coach. 

My point was more along the lines of you can’t blame them for the appointment. I remember when he got the job there was a bewilderment that it took the board so long to give it to him on the back of the results he was getting. 

9 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

I think you’re right that someone more experienced should have been operating above him. But I also wonder if that would have made all that much difference as it seems to be tactically that he was struggling and if you take that aspect away from the coach he’s not really the coach. 

My point was more along the lines of you can’t blame them for the appointment. I remember when he got the job there was a bewilderment that it took the board so long to give it to him on the back of the results he was getting. 

Aye, I know what you mean. His form didn't really leave them with much choice.

You don't need to take tactics away from the manager, you just need to play devil's advocate and challenge those tactics and get him to explain himself. The idea being that he questions himself and what he's doing, which is vital for a young manager, to avoid the sort of cognitive dissonance that effected Glass, Goodwin and Robson. All three went through long periods of making the same mistake over and over, with apparently nobody to hold them to account or make them questions themselves. It was like they were paralysed, and just couldn't see that what they were doing was wrong. It just needs consistent messaging and questioning: "Barry, your setting us up to play with Ramadani despite the fact Ylber left in the summer, and none of the replacements are in any way similar to him. Explain that to me as a layman". It's not about taking responsibility from him, rather about shaking him out of a rut when there's a prolonged period of poor results from making the same mistakes. He'd still get to set up as he saw fit, nobody could tell him that three at the back wasn't allowed or anything like that. Robson himself said that he needed someone at the club who would challenge him, and I don't think that ever happened (or if it did, they weren't actually challenging him).