Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Next manager

RicoS321

Lennon can GTF. What's he actually done? Beat Barcelona once.  Got punted fairly quickly on every job since including Celtic again where he inherited a treble treble winning side and humped it. Only closet dims want him.

we need to get the brand right this time, Not the name. I've got a lot more patience for a new manager who doesn't make my eyes bleed but might need a bit of time. 

I'd offer up Gary Naismith but that particular Messiah has to finish his current job and take stenny to the premier!

• Thanks 1

It won't be Neil Lennon. He has his cheerleaders every time a job comes up, but the one thing I respect our board for is they haven't bought into it.

Neil Warnock - see if he was interim until we found someone permanent, then fine. Give him the Celtic, Rangers and Bonnyrigg Rose games - if anything it'll be intriguing and I tend to think the results in those three games will be the same no matter who is in charge.

But, this end of season chat worries me. We did this last season, had three months to find someone but were quite happy to let Robson crack on (in fairness he was doing well) then didn't find anyone. Do we really need to do the same again, 3/4 months to find a manager? 

I'd rather our permanent boss was in sooner rather than later so they can start making their stamp on the team. Yeh, it didn't do Glass, Goodwin or Robson much good in the long term, but it's still preferable to their first competitive game potentially being a European qualifier.

I’ll add Alex Neil to that list. Bounced around a little but that has gained experience. Comment before said he’d not be interested, think he’s said no to coming back north in the past, but has been out of work for a couple of months and I don’t see his stock that high at present?? Available now and not totally foreign to our league and expectation. Young enough to be successful with us and move on to better things eventually. Don’t mean thy as a negative, still a young guy with plenty to prove.

57 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Looking at the names out there, whats everyone’s take on Stephen Kenny? Him, Michael O’Neill and the jimmy Thelin bloke are the only names that don’t cause me to vomit in my mouth so far.

Stephen Kenny would be interesting.

His Ireland stint, he was labelled as tactically naive because he stubbornly stuck to wanting to be a possession based team when Ireland didn't have the players for it. He also mainly favoured 3-4-2-1. Didn't offer enough of a threat against smaller teams who played a low block. So there's a hybrid of Glass and Robson in there.

But Dunfermline apart, his club record as a manager is exceptional. His time in charge of Ireland wasn't a total waste of time either as he gave 21 young players their debuts - think Jamie McGrath and Liam Scales are among them.

Dunno if he's my first choice, but would certainly consider him.

Jimmy Thelin. Have been reading a few articles on him and watched some Elfsborg highlights.

What intrigues me is his way of playing is kinda what Barry Robson was trying to do at times, but Thelin does it much more effectively.

He plays a fast-paced direct style of football, and even against smaller teams Elfsborg often have fewer than 50% possession. But it's all about high pressing, winning the ball in the opposition half, and if they win it in their own half then it's often a long ball to get them up the pitch quickly. But the formation is more of a 4-2-3-1 with more width, the defensive line high up, and often the advanced midfielder stays up to form a front two when they're defending so they have two men to aim for.

It almost like Thelin has a solution to a few things Robson was doing wrong in his own quest to make that style work at Aberdeen.

That type of football isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think back to what was, for me, the high point of Robson's reign and possibly the game that landed him the job permanently.

Against Hearts at home in April we played at a pace Hearts couldn't live with, pressed their midfield, and forced them into errors. We turned them over 3-0 and could have won by more.

And yet, we had just 38% possession that day. But a lot of Hearts passes were among their back line. We had 47% accuracy with long balls (compared to hearts 32%). We had a 60% success rate with passes into the final third (Hearts 45%).

I thought that would be how we'd always be under Robson but it then became a long ball shambles after that. I dunno if Aberdeen just fluked it that day v Hearts.

If Thelin can recreate it though then I'm all for him. We just need to go and poach the manager who finished second in the Swedish top flight last season...

• Like 1

I see Micky Duff is on some bookies list. As a bit of a Cheltenham hero as both a player and manager I wouldn’t be averse to this. Turned Cheltenham round quickly. Would have been promoted, I think as Champions, in the Covid season had it completed. Did the following season, highest ever finish first season in League 1, before going to Barnsley where he turned them round too. Rated highly at both clubs. Plays decent football. 
Just his short stint at Swansea as a blot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

I see Micky Duff is on some bookies list. As a bit of a Cheltenham hero as both a player and manager I wouldn’t be averse to this. Turned Cheltenham round quickly. Would have been promoted, I think as Champions, in the Covid season had it completed. Did the following season, highest ever finish first season in League 1, before going to Barnsley where he turned them round too. Rated highly at both clubs. Plays decent football. 
Just his short stint at Swansea as a blot. 

Never even heard of him Baggy but that all sounds positive. 

Wait, is that the same Mike duff that was an epic utility player in cm 01/02? 

31 minutes ago, Kowalski said:

Neil Lennon now 2/5!

Rhys McCabe has appeared at 8/1!

Steve Clarke at 16/1. He’d never come to us at least for the time being surely. 

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/aberdeen

Lennon would guarantee my finding something else to do on a Saturday until he inevitably crashed and burned.

McCabe would be an interesting shout if he had been at Airdrie longer and and maybe got them promoted but at the moment think it’s too early for him. 

After winning the Euros this summer Clarke will want a tilt at winning World Cup so can’t see it being him. 

That Clarke would leave Scotland for Aberdeen is nonsensical and I can't believe it's a. odds that short and b.  that anyone would be dense enough to bet on it. 

Lennon though 🤦‍♂️They must know this will go down like a lead balloon if it happens. I'm starting to wonder if the whole warnock thing was a red herring from the start and purely to make lennon seem more appealing.  He isn't exactly popular within the Aberdeen support but, then, neither was Brown and I don't remember anyone sitting down in the Aberdeen end when he scored at mordor. 

The biggest problem I would suggest with appointing lennon is that he inevitably falls out with everyone within a few years.  To be fair some of his teams have played some decent football, hibs in particular were fun to watch when he was in charge. Would that be enough to appease a relatively hostile from the off support should he come in and start getting crowds off their feet? Perhaps...... but only temporarily though and he would be turned on quickly at the first wobble. 

What an absolute mess. 

I don't actually see much evidence of Neil Lennon going into struggling clubs and turning them around.

Inherited good Celtic sides and a Hibs team that had just won the Scottish Cup and had a right good squad already.

Sacked in Cyprus for poor results. Ultimately left Hibs in eighth. His final season at Celtic was a big failure.

If anything, his track record is making good teams considerably worse.

This whole "he's a winner, won't take any shit in the dressing room". So was Barry Robson, so was Jim Goodwin, and so was Scott Brown as part of Glass' team. 

Edited by Panda
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

That Clarke would leave Scotland for Aberdeen is nonsensical and I can't believe it's a. odds that short and b.  that anyone would be dense enough to bet on it. 

Lennon though 🤦‍♂️They must know this will go down like a lead balloon if it happens. I'm starting to wonder if the whole warnock thing was a red herring from the start and purely to make lennon seem more appealing.  He isn't exactly popular within the Aberdeen support but, then, neither was Brown and I don't remember anyone sitting down in the Aberdeen end when he scored at mordor. 

The biggest problem I would suggest with appointing lennon is that he inevitably falls out with everyone within a few years.  To be fair some of his teams have played some decent football, hibs in particular were fun to watch when he was in charge. Would that be enough to appease a relatively hostile from the off support should he come in and start getting crowds off their feet? Perhaps...... but only temporarily though and he would be turned on quickly at the first wobble. 

What an absolute mess. 

Agree on Clarke. Never happening, even if he left the national team he wouldn’t end up here.

No mess yet tho, the Lennon stuff is media and bookie speculation so not worth worrying about.

Edited by wee toon red

Warnock surely cannot be considered even as an interim appointment. Teams don’t play the style we are looking to implement, no knowledge or experience of Scottish football and will likely cost a fortune. 

8 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Been out and about with the kids most of the day so catching up now.

What’s this about a review of the whole club using “elite performance consultants”?

Willie Miller had some choice words about it.

Im wary of anyone outside of medicine who's main job title includes the word 'consultant'

Its up there with adding 'with management' to the end of a university degree