Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Euro 2024 Draw

tom_widdows

This is how England will win it. Not by us grudgingly acknowledging they've been the best team. But by scoring the same number of goals in the group stage as Scotland but finishing top, by scoring a 94th minute equaliser v Slovakia, by matching a score line we got v Switzerland, by VAR controversy getting them past Holland, and in an as yet to be revealed annoying way of winning the final.

What makes it worse is we were shite. Had we at least given Germany a game and had more than a defected McTominay goal to cheer in the other two games, and maybe had a knockout game to enjoy, I'd cradle that and our own excellent summer.

But no, we were shit. England have also been shit but are going to win it, and there's nothing we can do about it.

9 minutes ago, Panda said:

This is how England will win it. Not by us grudgingly acknowledging they've been the best team. But by scoring the same number of goals in the group stage as Scotland but finishing top, by scoring a 94th minute equaliser v Slovakia, by matching a score line we got v Switzerland, by VAR controversy getting them past Holland, and in an as yet to be revealed annoying way of winning the final.

What makes it worse is we were shite. Had we at least given Germany a game and had more than a defected McTominay goal to cheer in the other two games, and maybe had a knockout game to enjoy, I'd cradle that and our own excellent summer.

But no, we were shit. England have also been shit but are going to win it, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Not to mention the stewards trying to injure their opponent's captain.

3 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Southgate now being referred to as 'Gaz' by Linekar and co.
Theres way too much riding on this game.

Only time Spain lost in these Euros was in the group stage against us!

Spain by far the better team on the night and best team in the tournament. They look like they could have a team that will be a threat at next few tournaments again. Yamal is a joy to watch and with Nico Williams on the other side can see them being team to beat. 

Leave it to Danes to sum it up. 

Always delighted when England lose, the bigger the stage the better. Especially nice to rub it in to my English mates reminding them we beat Spain not that long ago. Was worried when they won on penalties that this was their year. Tragedy avoided for another two years.

Thank fuck for the Spanish. Have endured years 31 to 58 living down here following their fixed win in '66, not sure I'd have coped starting at year 0. 

Edited by baggy89

2 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

Thank fuck for the Spanish. Have endured years 31 to 58 living down here following their fixed win in '66, not sure I'd have coped starting at year 0. 

The whole 58 years pish is exactly that though. They've had one tournament, where they played all their games at Wembley and deployed some extremely dubious refs, which they won. It is a complete outlier, rather than something that should expect to be repeated. They make it sound like it's some inevitability, and that they've been hard done by. However, there's not a single tournament since their "victory" where they've been the best team, or even anywhere close to it. The last two tournaments weren't some hard luck story, rather they were a story of complete luck, where everything went right for them at the right times and they made the finals. They're about the level of the Netherlands, Portugal or Croatia of the last twenty years. There's probably a few teams in and around that level, and it varies from tournament to tournament. Seeding means that they're unlikely not to qualify for big tournaments, but once they get there that benefit fades a little and they struggle. They are not Germany, Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, they are the level below that and would need a hell of a lot to go right in order to win a tournament. Of course, the Euros can lend itself to a team outside the top four winning it, as we've seen numerous times in the past. They'd still be massively punching above their weight if they did win though.

Massive superiority complex and misplaced arrogance. It brings out the worst in the whole population. Particularly bad are the ones who know nothing about sport. Most recently having a conversation about rugby just after the 6 nations. I made a comment which was responded to by an older English lad very confidently with "come back to me when you beat us" to which I laughed and replied "you mean like this year, or last year or the year before that." Or the dickhead my wife saw yesterday wandering down the street shouting "eng-ha lund eng-ah-lund" only stopping to stick his head in the door of the kebab shop and Turkish barbers to shout racist shite at them.  

Thankfully I married an Irish girl and have mates that treat it like a rivalry, same as we do. Cheering and giving me shit when we lose or have crap results (memorably the draw against the Faroes). I wanted to go to Germany and tried to convince one of these mates to come with me, he wouldn't, saying that he would have done had England not qualified but didn't want to go and have the Germans (or anyone else) associate him with the rest of his countrymen.

I always like to tell them that half their team should have been missing from the final in '66 had the semi been refereed correctly, having spent 90 minutes taking turns kicking the fuck out of Eusebio (something my dad goes on about), so really the goal given that didn't cross the line just typified how corrupt that whole tournament was.

In fairness the jingoism has died down a bit over the last few years and yesterday meant I got a lovely round of golf in on an empty course while the rest of England tried to drink more than three cans of cider while comparing guts and bad tattoos before seeing their team capitulate and giving their wives a slap to reassert their superiority complex and misplaced arrogance. 😉😂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, baggy89 said:

Massive superiority complex and misplaced arrogance. It brings out the worst in the whole population. Particularly bad are the ones who know nothing about sport. Most recently having a conversation about rugby just after the 6 nations. I made a comment which was responded to by an older English lad very confidently with "come back to me when you beat us" to which I laughed and replied "you mean like this year, or last year or the year before that." Or the dickhead my wife saw yesterday wandering down the street shouting "eng-ha lund eng-ah-lund" only stopping to stick his head in the door of the kebab shop and Turkish barbers to shout racist shite at them.  

Thankfully I married an Irish girl and have mates that treat it like a rivalry, same as we do. Cheering and giving me shit when we lose or have crap results (memorably the draw against the Faroes). I wanted to go to Germany and tried to convince one of these mates to come with me, he wouldn't, saying that he would have done had England not qualified but didn't want to go and have the Germans (or anyone else) associate him with the rest of his countrymen.

I always like to tell them that half their team should have been missing from the final in '66 had the semi been refereed correctly, having spent 90 minutes taking turns kicking the fuck out of Eusebio (something my dad goes on about), so really the goal given that didn't cross the line just typified how corrupt that whole tournament was.

In fairness the jingoism has died down a bit over the last few years and yesterday meant I got a lovely round of golf in on an empty course while the rest of England tried to drink more than three cans of cider while comparing guts and bad tattoos before seeing their team capitulate and giving their wives a slap to reassert their superiority complex and misplaced arrogance. 😉😂

Only mid July and no one is going to beat this IMO for my favourite post of the year.

Take a bow lad 👍

20 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Can't believe I have to get a potential £343.75 profit DIVIDED BY SIX because so many players finished on three goals!!!!!!

No description available.

That’s a bit of a nightmare. Suspect that it might be first time that so many players have finished level. 

From speaking with one of the boys that work at the branch we put it on at I believe I'm getting just £56 when next in shop.

Gakpo was obviously level with Olmo, Kane, Musiala, Schranz and Mikautadze.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE ON BET WINNINGS!!!

I picked it up last week and it seems they've given me both the win and each way part rather than just the each way part as was paid £95.83 which I guess ain't too bad looking now.

• Like 1