New Contract For Maybury?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depresses the fuck out of me that everyone we sign nowadays falls into 2 categories:

- Players like Maybury and Miller who exhaust every other possible anevue then eventually sign for us as a last resort cos they canna get gig anywhere else

-Players like Bakens who is about last on our wish list of signings but since no other cunt wants to join us, he'll have to do. Got to fill them jerseys some how.

Wish we could just identify a good player, go for him and he signs without any hoo ha.  :(

Wish we could just identify a good player, go for him and he signs without any hoo ha.  :(

Surely this happened with Kerr did it not? I know it took a while longer than we all thought, but hell, he weighed up his options and saw we were the better option. He didn't exhaust all other avenues, well I see it that way anyway.

Depresses the fuck out of me that everyone we sign nowadays falls into 2 categories:

- Players like Maybury and Miller who exhaust every other possible anevue then eventually sign for us as a last resort cos they canna get gig anywhere else

-Players like Bakens who is about last on our wish list of signings but since no other cunt wants to join us, he'll have to do. Got to fill them jerseys some how.

Wish we could just identify a good player, go for him and he signs without any hoo ha.   :(

It really is, isn't it!  :

Although, I think we had a lucky escape with this boy Bakens.  I really don't think its a good idea to try and bring in a centre half from Dutch lower leagues to play in the SPL - particularly with our track record of signing Dutchmen.

It really is, isn't it!  :

Although, I think we had a lucky escape with this boy Bakens.  I really don't think its a good idea to try and bring in a centre half from Dutch lower leagues to play in the SPL - particularly with our track record of signing Dutchmen.

He'll still sign too. And if he doesn't do you think his replacement will be better?

Maybury should have been binned weks ago. A mediocre player who couldnt lace Michael Harts boots. If Hart had been offered what Maybury was paid we wouldnt be in this position anyway. Hart wanted to stay and would have stayed if he was given a fair wage.

Identify a new right back and move on please. Fed up with this ex-jambo holding us to ransom.

Well said wong.

Hart would have definitely stayed (source - Michael Hart) if he was offered a respectable wage, he was not being greedy, he was being offered a fraction of what Jamie Smith is on.

Maybury has taken far too long, tell him to gtf and focus our efforts on getting in another full back - we've had plenty time to find some targets.

I think we're all in agreement that its time to move on because he's taking the piss. It's bad enough when Miller and Diaomd did it but sadly enough we're not in a position when we can force our best players to make a decision. Maybury can easily be replaced, if he was desperate to stay he would have signed weeks ago, we're just his fallback in case he doesn't get a move to England.

• 1 month later...
Maybury may have to take wage cut

Defender keen on Pittodrie return

By Andrew Moir

Published: 27/08/2008

ALAN Maybury will have to drop his wage demands to resurrect any Pittodrie move.

The Evening Express revealed last night that the Republic of Ireland cap would consider a dramatic Dons return.

The right back, who impressed on loan at Aberdeen, is now a free agent after his Leicester City contract expired last month.

But he’s failed to land another club in England despite a trial at Bristol City which has prompted Jimmy Calderwood to revive his interest.

“I’ve always said I was happy at Aberdeen and enjoyed my time with the club,†said Maybury.

“Even with the two disappointing cup semi-finals defeats last season, it was still very enjoyable.

“I still haven’t got anything fixed up and will be speaking to my agent soon but would be willing to talk to Aberdeen.â€

Dons assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl admits boss Calderwood has been frustrated trying to convince Maybury throughout the summer to sign on again with the Reds.

But Nicholl, an accomplished right-back himself, is pleased they have been offered a ray of light in their bid to beef up their defence.

He said: “If you can get somebody who can play in a position as naturally as Alan Maybury does, you are obviously going to be interested.

“I know Jimmy has been talking about getting him in and I know he wants him in.

“Richard Foster is doing a good job at right back and the defence looks fairly solid.

“But bringing Alan back in would allow Richard to play elsewhere and give us more options.

“If we don’t get Alan for whatever reason, be it financial or if he’s dragging his feet, the manager has other things in mind.â€

Calderwood is keen to further strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes at midnight on Monday.

The Pittodrie boss is also considering loan moves for Premier League rookies in England.

Calderwood wants a player in the Sone Aluko mould to add more of an attacking threat to his team.

I have to say, he (Maybury) has been a bit of a prick about this but I hope we can sign him.  We'd have two natural full backs starting for the first time in god knows how long.  He's a better option than Forest Gump at right back.

I'm really undecided on this one, before the summer I really wanted us to sign this guy, but I can't help but think that this shows us as a weak club. Surely sends out the wrong message to players? Yes I know what he can do and by god I'd rather have a donkey than foster at RB but I don't like the fact that this guy prostituted himself all over england and because he failed decides he wants to come back. Cunt. Any news of Lanzaat?

I'm really undecided on this one, before the summer I really wanted us to sign this guy, but I can't help but think that this shows us as a weak club. Surely sends out the wrong message to players? Yes I know what he can do and by god I'd rather have a donkey than foster at RB but I don't like the fact that this guy prostituted himself all over england and because he failed decides he wants to come back. Cunt. Any news of Lanzaat?

Same.  Yes cause improvement on Foster at right back but no after mucking club about.  Yes as give us more decent cover at back but no as will be on huge wage.  Yes because his first half dozen games, no from last half dozen games.  Suppose have to weigh up if will be value for money although at this stage doubt this will be looked at as we get desperate as transfer window coming to end rapidly.

At start of summer Id have said sign him but now I say no. He's been offered contracts by us and turned them all down in search of a "bigger" club in ingerlund. Only wants back to us because nobody else wants him. Quite pleased to see some backbone from JC over this. Firstly for offering a deal with a lower wage, then taking the deal of the table.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybury stays on the fence for Pittodrie derby match

Published: 19/09/2008

Alan Maybury insists he will play no part in tomorrow’s SPL meeting of Aberdeen and Dundee United at Pittodrie after linking up with the Arabs.

Former Aberdeen defender Maybury is training with the Tannadice men as they prepare to meet the Dons.

He is not expecting a permanent switch to the Arabs after turning down a contract offer from Aberdeen in the summer and will not be sharing his intimate knowledge of the two sides with either manager. The 30-year-old Irish international has been put through his paces alongside Craig Levein's players at their St Andrews training base this week as he searches for a new club.

He said: “A few of the Dundee United players have been asking if I'm a spy in the camp for Aberdeen but I've told them that's not the case.

“I’m here to keep my fitness ticking over while I'm looking for a club, so I’m staying neutral this weekend. Both teams are desperate for a win, so it’s a huge game.

“Aberdeen are the exact opposite this season from when I was there last year. We couldn’t win away from home, but this time they've had problems at Pittodrie.

“United are also desperate for a win, so maybe having a high-profile game like this, with a good derby atmosphere, is what they both need.â€

Maybury is grateful to his former Hearts and Leicester manager Craig Levein for giving him training facilities.

He said: “I've really enjoyed training with United and the atmosphere is upbeat. Even though they went bottom of the table there's no doom and gloom."

Maybury admits he expected to have found a new club by now but is confident he will secure a deal soon.

The right back, who has 10 caps for his country, is fully fit and willing to travel in order to get a game.

He said: “I'm open to anything. I spoke to Aberdeen at the end of last season and then again in the summer my agent spoke to Willie Miller.

“Jimmy Calderwood wanted someone really quick and I couldn’t give him an answer at that time, so he signed someone else instead. He had to do what was best for Aberdeen, I understand that."

United are still waiting for a verdict on midfielder Willo Flood, who has a tight hamstring.

Aberdeen have Jamie Smith sidelined but expect him to return by the end of the month.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood said: “It's a game both sides have to win and we don’t want them getting on top of this fixture again either. They beat us regularly when Craig Brewster first took over but we have won the last two derby games with them at Pittodrie and want to keep that going.

“I think the game is between two managers who both thought their teams would be in better positions by now and, hopefully, I am the happier after it.â€